History & Mission
The Arden-Arcade area was developed in the 1950's and there was a desire among members of St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church to create a new mission and neighborhood Episcopal Church in Carmichael, California. March 20, 1955, the first worship service was held in the Sierra View Funeral Chapel and Sunday School was held in the Veterans’ Memorial Hall. We became an "official" mission of the Diocese in the spring of 1956 and two years later began a building fund campaign. Two years after that, ground was broken and building began. It seems as though building and growing has never stopped on our campus.
The Sanctuary we worship in today was completed in May 1963. Even before the Sanctuary was finished, a preschool was established in 1961 and the St. Michael’s Episcopal Day School opened with Kindergarten and First Grade classes in 1962. The founding rector, the Rev. Thurlow Baker, believed that the church buildings should not sit idle and empty during the week. Therefore, Rev. Baker suggested that the congregation put this resource to good use and build a place for their children to have a Christian education. The parish accepted and followed this vision which began the St. Michael's Episcopal Day School. This wisdom continues today with St. Michael’s Episcopal Day School’s mission advocating the same core values that existed from the beginning: Compassion, Diligence, Respect, Integrity, and Responsibility. There is very little at St. Michael’s that sits idle!
St. Michael's is expanding its relationship with St. Matthew’s, the congregation in which St. Michael's was originally founded. We work in partnership with their congregation and St. Matthew's resource center to help those in need.
We continue to be an active, multi-generational community that takes education seriously and works hard to use our resources wisely. We gather to pray and play, study and sing, worship and wonder, all for the purpose to build God's kingdom, grow in love, and deepen our relationship with Jesus.